Neelakanta always wanted to make films which have a striking a balance between Art and Commerce. It materialized with Show followed by Missamma. He received two national awards for Show, one in best screenplay category by beating the extraordinary films like lagaan and other for the Best Feature Film in Telugu. He then made Sada Mee Sevalo with Shriya and Venu in lead roles and later made a psychological thriller Nandanavanam 120 km.
Then he made Mr Medhavi with Genelia and Raja in lead roles that faired at box office as above average grosser. He also wrote dialogues for Telugu remake of Hindi hit 'A Wednesday' that is being made in Telugu as 'Eenadu' with Kamal Hasan and Daggubati Venkatesh.
- Show (2002)
- Misamma (2003)
- Sadaa Mee Sevalo (2005)
- Nandanavanam 120KM (2006)
- Mr.Medhavi (2008)
- Eenadu (2009)
- Virodhi (2011)
- Chammak Challo (2013)
- Maaya (2014)
National Film Awards
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu – 2002 – Show
- National Film Award for Best Screenplay – 2002 – Show
- Nandi Award for Best Screenplay Writer – Missamma (2003)
- Nandi Award for Best Dialogue Writer – Virodhi (2011)